Healthy Gingerbread Muffins

Very rarely do I FEEL THE NEED to blog. Usually, I'll blog to tell you about a story or experience that happened, to unwind from studying for a couple of hours and get something off my chest. That hasn't been happening too much lately, so it'll usually take one of my friends' friendly reminders ("why haven't you blogged since OCTOBER 24?!") to kick me off my butt and inspire me to clamor up a blog post again. Not today.

A friend and I made gingerbread cookies for the children's wing of the hospital! 

I just knew that when I bit into these warm, pillowy muffins yesterday that I had to share this with you. I couldn't believe they had no added sugar and were made with whole wheat flour. I've been sort of on a gingerbread kick lately (gingerbread lattes, gingerbread cookies, gingerbread candles) and wanted to make something gingerbread flavored and also healthy so it would fill me up for breakfast (switching it up from my pumpkin flavored pumpkin oatmeal cookies, below). Enter these healthy (technically even vegan, but none of you are vegan, so whatevs) gingerbread banana muffins!

I actually came up with this recipe myself too, mixing and matching from a lot of different sources because I wanted to replace the oil and sugar in this recipe I found on Pinterest. They're made with no added sugars, bananas for sweetness, only 2 T coconut oil for moistness, half white, half wheat flour, 1/4 cup molasses, and a healthy dose of ginger (none of that half tsp crap). So put on some holiday music, light your gingerbread candle, and whip up these guilt-free gingerbread muffins!

Healthy banana gingerbread muffins
Makes 6

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 t ginger powder
1 T pumpkin pie spice (or 1 T cinnamon, 1/2 t nutmeg, and a pinch of ground cloves)

1/4 cup milk (any type, fat free, almond, soy)
1 cup mashed banana (2 medium bananas's worth? Just use however much banana you want)
1/4 cup molasses
2 T coconut oil (I got mine from Trader Joe's)

Mix together wet ingredients, minimizing lumps (I even microwaved mine for about a minute to melt the coconut oil). In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients well. A little at a time, add the dry ingredients into the wet. Do not overmix. Ladle into a paper-lined muffin tin. Muffin liners should be 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 25 min. Recipe is easily doubled.

The muffin's aren't too sweet, which is perfect for me, but if you're so inclined, add some brown sugar (1/4 cup) if you can't bear to eat your cake unsweetened.

Ate all but two before I took a picture. I'm a bad blogger. 

I've been nomming on them for breakfast the whole week and might just go back into the kitchen to make more. I'm a gingerbread freak.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts